Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Time to get leid.

They say everyone deserves a second chance.  I think that's a bunch of crap.  I say everyone deserves a fourth chance... at least that's what I keep telling myself lately. How else can I explain my good fortune at landing a fourth trip to Hawaii?

That's right:  this winter, after a five-year hiatus, I'll be packing up my lenses and returning to the Big Island of Hawaii.  Like before, I'll be exploring every corner of this magnificent island in search of beautiful images.  Only this time, I will have an additional role to play.

I'm proud to announce that, after a lengthy application process, I have been selected to be the Artist-In-Residence for the month of February at the renowned Kalani Oceanside Retreat on Hawaii.

Kalani is like nothing I've ever heard of before.  It's a combination retreat/sanctuary/wellness-center located in the remote Puna region of Hawaii. Situated on a lush, 100+ acre plot, Kalani is a place for people to come and unwind, recharge, connect with nature and leave the hectic pace of the modern world behind.

But, Kalani is much more than just a retreat.  It's a non-profit, thriving eco-village that practices sustainable agriculture and places great importance on concepts of family and community.  You can stay there as a paying guest, or you can volunteer there for months at a time, joining over 100 others in helping out with the many different things needed to make Kalani run smoothly.

Or, if you're lucky like me, you can be the monthly Artist-In-Residence (AIR).  As AIR, my primary job is to use my photographic skills to make a beneficial contribution to the Kalani community.  As such, I have been charged with creating works of art for use both on Kalani's website and throughout the property.  I will also be teaching photography classes both in the field and in the classroom.

In exchange, I will be given room and board in a special VIP section of the compound with free access to healthy, chef-prepared meals and world-class facilities.  There's even a large clothing-optional pool. (You know, in case your swimsuit gets too, um, constricting.)

Of course, the best part will be the community and island itself.  Living and working in one of the most amazing places on Earth meeting friendly folks from all around the world isn't exactly the worst way I could think of to spend my time.

In celebration, I have posted some of my favorite Hawaii images from the past below.  Hawaii has always been very good to me, and I have no doubt that this time that trend will continue.  I can not WAIT to get back out there!

That about does it for this month.  Next time, I will have the images from my recent trip to Utah and Colorado.  Until then, thanks for reading as always.  And Happy Halloween! ^_^









No comments: